Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hitting the Pavement in Peru

So for those who don't know me, I like running. To make matters more interesting, I like running in these:

Vibram FiveFingers: Bikila

So after 4+ weeks in Peru, I've finally gotten back to running on a semi-normal basis.  Here are some of my observations on running in Peru:

  • people don't run a lot around here (unless in sports), so I get a look for that
  • Being Taiwanese, I get a look for that
  • Wearing somewhat short shorts, I get a look for that
  • Running in Vibrams, I get a look for that
  • Add up all of the above, and I'm basically a spectacle in the streets

  • The air's pretty nice to breathe (once you get used to the altitude - which sucked at the beginning)
  • Lots of rocky roads and dirt roads in some areas
  • Hills. Everywhere.
  • Dogs can try and chase you sometimes (really, really scary when it's a pack), so you try to carry a small rock in your hand and throw it near them if they start chasing you
  • The sun makes running around noon almost unbearable (thanks to us being 10000 ft closer to it)

Now, I've started doing something a little more...exerting (read: crazy).  There's a road out of Urubamba that runs to Cuzco, and with Urubamba being in a valley, the road goes up and out of the valley.  Me, being the genius that I am, decided to try and run out of the valley on this road (3 times so far).  It's basically uphill for all of it, some gradual, some decently steep, and if I'm lucky, flat ground.  The farthest I've gone on it was 3 miles up (today!), and yeah, it's pretty high (I didn't even get out of the valley).  Besides getting to be really good at running uphill, the best part about this route is seeing the reaction of the people driving on it.  I get honked at, I see faces which can only mean "what is this chino doing all the way up on this road???", I see bewilderment and smiles, and an occasional shout out ("amigo!" "Chino!").  Hopefully this running (read: craziness) translates well when I get back home.


#theviewisworthit #crazygringo #imadesomanypeoplesdays

No comments:

Post a Comment