Saturday, May 14, 2011

Customs and such (what to do in Peru)

Now that I've been in Peru for a few days, I feel like I can comment on a few customs here that differ from the US.
  • In greetings, there are two different customs. When greeting guy to guy, you shake hands, as per usual. When greeting a woman, regardless of your gender, you kiss their right cheek. When entering a room full of people, it's customary to greet everyone in the room, otherwise it's rude. 
  • In eating, if people are served before you, it's customary for them to start eating immediately, otherwise it's considered rude to the chef. 
  • In using el baƱo, you have to put used toilet paper into the trashbin instead of the toilet - I don't think the septic system can handle it. 
  • In speaking, I think that Peruvians drop their 's' quite a bit. For example, instead of "Buenas noches," it's pronounced more like "buena noche" It may be just me though
  • In habits, at least what I've experienced from my host family, if there's a situation in which you can't really do much, you kinda shrug your shoulders and say "oof-e" 
  • In traffic customs, you do not get the right of way. If you get in the way of a car, the car will accelerate, instead of slowing down. Thus, crossing the streets in Cuzco is kind of like frogger - cross the streets when it's clear, and hope no one will clip you. 
#queinteresante

No comments:

Post a Comment