Saturday, May 14, 2011

Heyyyyyy Urubamba!

The Urubamba group arrived into the pueblo around 8 at night. It's much smaller than Cuzco, and you can traverse the length of the city in about 30 minutes, if not less. It's more rural than Cuzco - it's smaller, but still urban. The closest analog in my mind is Kaoshiung, Taiwan. The best part however, is being surrounded by mountains. Anywhere you go, you'll get a spectacular view, and the mountains are so close, it's gorgeous. Since light pollution is way less than in the cities, the stars are super clear, and la luna is bright as can be. The weather is warmer in my opinion - We're about 1000-2000 feet less than Cuzco, and maybe that accounts for the difference. I can enjoy this weather a lot - it's like San Francisco weather with hot & sunny in the daytime, and cool and crisp at night, but comfortable at all times.

Chris and I met our host family yesterday. There's Ana, la madre, who teaches 4-6 year olds at a school near urubamba, and there's Agosto, el padre, who teaches literature in secondary school (think high school, but 11-17 year olds). They're great to talk to, and I think we talked about just about everything from politics, to music, films, and our lives. They don't speak much English, but I'm finding that my Spanish is better than I thought, and for the most part, I can understand what they're saying pretty well. They're so nice, and so great (they told us that we're a part of their familia now) and I think that the next two months will be amazing. Ana y Agosto's son, Andre (5 years old), is just about the cutest thing ever. While writing this post, he tried to take my computer and write "porque puedo escribe mayor." He's adorable, and will probably be one of the highlights here. Overall, I love my host family, and I love Urubamba.

#megusta #excited #sosowonderful

No comments:

Post a Comment